Monday, 19 May 2014

Autumnal rambling

 
 
 
 



 
 I love Autumn. I love the colours I can see out my window from my special spot on the sofa, I love the crunch of leaves underfoot, I love the light spilling into the house in ways it doesn't in summer, I love the blaze of orange across the hills after the shade has engulfed our garden, I love the feijoas and the last of the summer garden coming inside.... so much goodness in Autumn.

It's time to dust off the winter woollies and light the fire each day, as we move more into Winter the fire will stay on all day every day. Winter sports have started so Saturday's are a bit of a write off with hockey (Marcus) early in the morning and netball (Ella) in the afternoon. It's the first season for both of them and we're really enjoying watching them. There are practises added to the calendar as well as the Saturday games but we've given up swimming for the term so it kind of balances out. There are lots of tidying up jobs to be done outside, the road hedge needs a big haircut and the veggie garden needs attention. The other weekend I planted garlic, cabbage, broccoli, celery and cauliflower but there are broadbeans and pea seeds sitting on the bench reminding me they need sowing. I've finally made a start on the driveway garden, it's been an overgrown, neglected eyesore for a few years and with a big effort from my gardening group's working bee, it's now been cleared and Anth has put up a windbreak fence. Now I need to get on with buying the hedging plants and mulching it.

I managed to read a number of books and get some knitting done last week when I was laid up on the sofa with a sprained ankle. After finding some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky in my stash I whipped up this scarf, I haven't got around to putting it up on Ravelry yet but it's called Rambling from memory and was a free pattern, super easy and super squishy to wear. I really loved reading Cheryl Strayed's Wild, it is such an inspiring story and has made me want to go tramping - not on my own though and nowhere where there are bears and snakes. Somewhere like Fiordland perhaps, I turn 40 this year (arghh?!?! how did that happen?) and am keen on the idea of walking the Milford by way of celebration, not sure celebration is the right word... I need to save up though as it's not a cheap thing to do unfortunately. Wild is not really the best book to read when you've injured yourself though, I'm feeling very frustrated that I can't get out walking the hills right now!

What do you love about Autumn? What are you reading and or knitting at the moment? Have you read Wild? How would you celebrate turning 40, or would you ignore it?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete